Yes! Topical products you apply directly to your skin matter, but it’s healthier to nourish your body from within. Ever heard the quote ‘’You are what you eat’’? I bet you have!
Here’s our guide on natural foods you can eat to get your skin popping:
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are root vegetables that give you a healthy dose of vitamin A. They contain beta-carotene which converts to vitamin A when digested. Vitamin A has been found to help to improve the circulation of oxygen to the skin, reduce wrinkles and other signs of ageing.
- Egg: Did you know that eggs are in vitamins that are essential for proper cell function. They also contain a beauty vitamin – water-soluble B-vitamin, also called vitamin B₇, biotin which helps protect the skin from acne, rashes and even dryness.
- Coconut: The water from coconuts is a great natural hydration aid and contains potassium, an electrolyte that helps move nutrients into our cells. High in healthy fats, vitamins E and K and minerals.
- Tomato: Popularly known as ATA, coupled with others, locally known as TATASHE or RODO. Back to Tomatoes…Did you know that Tomato contains Vitamins A, C, K, E, B1, B2, B3 and B6 which help shrink pores and nourish skin? Tomatoes are skincare superheroes, protecting you from sun damage thanks to their high antioxidant content.
- Omega-3 rich foods: Sources include Walnuts, Fatty Fish like Mackerel and Sardine. These contain essential fatty acids that greatly benefit skin by regulating oil production to boost hydration and prevent acne, and by delaying the skins aging process to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Citrus Fruits: Sources like Apples, Oranges, Tangerine, Pineapples, Lemon and Grapefruit. These Citrus fruits Rich in Vitamin C, which is vital for production and formation of collagen, the skin’s support structure. The Vitamin C works as an antioxidant to protect skin and other cells from damage caused by free radicals. Most citrus fruits contain amino acids which aid in cell and tissue repair, giving one a youthful appearance.
- Lastly, WATER! Water is an integral part of beautiful skin and general wellbeing. Essential to maintain optimum skin moisture, give essential nutrients to skin cells, flush out toxins from the body, and a lot more. The goal is to stay hydrated. Drink Water!
Add these healthy foods to your plate, be consistent with your diet to get your skin on fleek! What do you think?